I don't know about you, but I could use another National Novel Progress Month.
I've decided once again to skip National Novel Writing Month, though I'm a huge fan and would love to encourage you if you're participating — as well as National Blog Post Month — since what I need right now is not more writing but more finishing, if you know what I mean.
Last time I hosted NaNoProgMo with the lovely Teresa from Spirit Grooves, but she's busy with holiday sales, so for this month, we're going to keep it low key and my husband, Sam, is hosting it with me. I mean, he's not blogging or anything (unless he wants to guest post), but … I dunno, we're just both doing NaNoProgMo, so that totally counts as a co-host. Tree and I would like to host an all-out ProgMo in January, so hang on to that if these next two months are not your style.
We started NaNoProgMo to support writers who need to finish, edit, research, polish, or publish a novel. I'm also totally happy to embrace writers who are working on non-fiction books, ebooks, articles, or blogging. If you need to make some writing or editing progress this month, come along!
I'd like to offer you some support as you work on your writing in November, in whatever form it takes!
You get to choose what progress you'll make and how you'll measure it.
Then we'll all work in community toward our individual goals!
Here's all you need to do to join us:
Leave a comment with your goal for the month.That's it!
It's wise to make it a trackable goal. You might have a daily/weekly/monthly page count, word count, chapter count, or time spent on your book. Decide what makes sense for you so you can make sure you're keeping up (or catching up) as the month goes on.
Feel free to connect with me in whatever way(s) you prefer so we can encourage each other:
- on my blog: LaurenWayne.com
- on Facebook: Lauren Wayne, author
- on Twitter: @Hobo_Mama with the hashtag #NaNoProgMo
- on Pinterest: hobomama (specifically my Write Like a Hobo board)
- on Google Plus: +LaurenWayne
- through my newsletter: News from LaurenWayne.com
You want to keep track of progress, right? Teresa found this excellent free progress ticker source: Ticker Factory.
- Choose an Exercise Ticker as the type.
- Enter your own password/pin, put in Hours/Words/Pages/Chapters/Whatever for Units, enter your current progress, and put in your target for the whole month (e.g., if you chose 1 hour/day, you'd put 30 hours for the month). Your Message is whatever you want to title your ticker, so put something NaNoProgMo-inspirational!
- Pick your ticker & slider designs. Click on the numbers along the bottom to see all the designs available.
- On the last screen, you'll get the HTML code to add to your site in a post or a sidebar!
- Go back to Ticker Factory daily to update your total, and enjoy seeing your progress!
Show off your NaNoProgMo participation with one of our cute buttons! Here are a few options for you:
Blog post size:
200 pixel wide button:
150 pixel wide button:
Check back for other goodies, such as your winner's certificate!
FAQWhat if it's after November 1, and you still want to join in? Then do it! Any time you spend working on your novel is worth it, right? And I'm sure we'll all still have more work to do in future months, too!
Why November? After completing NaNoWriMo for several years in a row, November just seems like it has the most international psychic wellspring of novel-writing motivation! If November doesn't work for you, maybe you can catch us in another month soon! But our feeling on writing your novel is that the best time to do it is now.
Why "national"? We're mirroring NaNoWriMo on this one. We welcome everyone from any nation!
What if you get behind? Make up your progress on another day — or just move ahead. Whatever works for you! We know most of us who'll be doing this are parents and writers. We simply want to use the power of community to motivate all of us to take our writing seriously, and have a little fun in the process!
If you have questions to add or suggestions to offer, comment!
Photo Credit: abcdz2000 / sxc.hu